Why Should YOU be a Blushing Books' Author?
- Blushing Books is not a new company. We are, in fact, the oldest web-based romance and romance erotica publisher. We have been in business since 1991, and sold erotica through mail-order from '91 through '98, at which point we moved to web-based publishing via a membership site model. We opened our first e-book store in 2001. We currently represent around 350 professional romance authors who have met the RWA minimum guidelines.
- We pay our authors some of the highest rates in the industry (50% royalty rate), and unlike some publishers who scale rates based on copies sold, we pay our full rate from the first copy out the door. Rates rise to 60% for authors who are writing for Blushing exclusively.
- We pay a minimum advance of $250-$500 on all titles we accept (anthologies and re-released books excluded.)
- Books released to all major distributors, including Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Apple, All Romance Ebooks and Smashwords.
- All books go to print, and all books go to audio. (Length restrictions apply.)
- Top publicity for our releases, including inclusion in a newsletter of 15,000 readers, inclusion in our in-house Advance Reader Copy program, and a full time publicist on staff.
- Monthly payments for our active and established authors.
- We consistently rank in the Amazon top 100 of all erotica categories. Don't believe us? Here's a recent screen shot of our ranking in erotic Westerns, showing us as holding the #1 through #6 positions. Still unconvinced? Here's a screen shot of us recently occuping 7 of the top 9 positions in Victorian Erotica.
Submitting to Blushing Books Publications
*We pride ourselves on our quick response times to writers. Your submission will be acknowledged (and assigned to a reader) within one week days, and you will receive a decision on your manuscript within 1-2 weeks. If you send us a workable manuscript, it is reasonable for you to expect publication within 2-3 months of the time we first receive contact from you.
We’re ALWAYS looking for new authors and new titles.
What do we accept?
We are a romance publisher. Most of our publications will fall into the "power exchange" genre, but that genre is a broad one. Blushing Books publishes many books with a good deal of erotic content, but we also publish non-sexual stories containing discipline and/or spanking scenes. Books submitted to us should typically follow the basic guidelines of the romance genre. In general, there will be an identifiable hero and heroine who fall in love (usually after an initial period of disliking each other), the conflicts in the book will be centered around someting that keeps the hero and heroine apart, and the ending will be either an HEA (happily-ever-after) or at least an HFN (happily-for-now.)
Borrowing from the MPAA rating system, Blushing Books will primarily publish books that fall in the PG-13, R, and X rated categories. We have an affiliated publisher, Lazy Day Publications, where we publish Christian, inspirational, and young adult content (think G and PG).
We are far more interested in erotic romance than we are in erotica. Books in which the primary conflict centers around the development of the protagonists' sexual relationship are unlikely to be published. We want strong action, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, adventure plots, and the development of the relationship occurs within the context of that plot..
We accept stories from any conceivable setting: we publish works with a contemporary setting, historical novels, science fiction, fantasy, paranormal romances, and everything and anything in-between. We do ask that your stories come to us well-edited, and that they be complete with original and good dialogue, clear descriptions, a dynamic plot structure, and original and interesting characters.
Well-written manuscripts submitted by writers who have been careful to use proper grammar and punctuation will be given preference over manuscripts that seem to have been hastily submitted with no obvious effort to proofread.
We DO NOT accept partial manuscripts, so your manuscript should come to us complete with original and good dialogue, clear descriptions, a dynamic plot and well-defined characters.
We DO NOT accept simultaneous submissions. We respond quickly, and if you have submitted to another publisher, please withdraw from the other publisher before you send to us. (We will accept more than one submission from you, however. Feel free to send us everything you would like us to consider.)
Minimum word length is 22,000 words, although we will accept related novellas of 16,000 words each provided that both novellas are submitted together. In addition, we are no longer interested in series unless each book in the series has a definititve ending and can work as a stand-alone books. Any submission in which the customer is not provided at least a "happily for now" ending does not meet our requirements.
Manuscripts should be submitted in .doc or .docx format using the form at the end of this page. Times 12 pt. black font is preferred. Please do not put fancy headings on your book. Do not embed photographs or illustrations in the text, unless an illustration is something like a treasure map that is critical to the plot.
We offer a minimum $500 advance on well-written novels of longer than 40K with a strong romantic storyline. For shorter novellas, the minimum advance is $250.00. In general we do not pay advances on anthologies, memoirs or books where sex or spankings is the focus independent of any romantic storyline, or any book that has been published to ebook elswhere within the last year. We may still publish these titles selectively, but we primarily cater to a readership that prefers romance with sexy elements, not erotica.
DO NOT email your manuscript. We only accept manuscripts submitted via the form at the end of this page. Emailed manuscripts will not be acknowledged or considered.
**Currently, we are most interested in stories featuring contemporary adventures with a "domestic discipline," relationship underlying the action, time travel, romantic ageplay, and historicals. Again, a romantic storyline with a strong D/s element and spanking will be most likely to appeal to our readers. **
We do NOT publish:
- Any story that is in any way demeaning to an individual or group of people.
- Sexual incest ‐ though big brother/father may spank sister/daughter, and we will consider a story in which step-siblings (not half-siblings) have relationships.
- NO aggravated rape for purposes of sexual excitement. Rape may be used as part of the plot action, especially supporting character development, but should always be portrayed negatively and should not be described explicitly. Stories that involve a heroine being forced to accept sexual advances in order to advance the storyline may be acceptable, even if they are described for the purposes of sexual excitement. The difference between overt rape and semi- non-consensual sexual activity is a difficult one to explain. What we don’t want are stories about rape for the sake of rape.
- NO bodily functions as sexual activity (e.g., “golden showers”).
- NO necrophilia.
- NO guns, knives or other weapons stuffed in various parts of the female anatomy.
- NO extreme brutality presented for purposes of sexual excitement (e.g., it can be mentioned that an evil character tortures people or that a character has been tortured in the past or fears it in the future, but this cannot be described in a graphic way.) We are not interested in bloody whippings, branding, needle play, asphyxiation, etc.
- NO bestiality. This rule refers to common animals indigenous to earth; this does not apply to shapeshifting protagonists and sentient “otherworldly” humanoid animals in sci‐fi or fantasy.
A note about "non-consensual" content:
Stories in which the heroine is abducted by the hero have been romance classics for years, and hero's ability to "overcome" the reluctant heroine is an essential romance plot component. Although it at times can be a fuzzy line, the relationship between the hero and the heroine can be "non-consensual" (i.e., he can abduct her), but individual sexual acts and/or discipline scenes should always be either ultimately consensual on the part of the heroine, or, in the case of spanking/discipline, applied to the heroine "for her own good."
Our primary market is Amazon.com, and their policies are changing towards non-consensual erotic material. As of now, no books with the words "abduct," "kidnap," "rape," "breed" or "non-consensual" in the description may be published.
Has your story been previously published?
We are actively looking for any published authors who wish to republish books whose rights have returned to them. We are particularly interested in romances from the 1980s and before that did contain spankings, and any author who has a novel in which spankings were cut out is encouraged to submit to us with the content restored. For previously published work, we would need some sort of proof that the rights have been returned to you.
Recently, we have received a large number of submissions from authors who previously self-published their titles and who, unhappy with their sales, believe that publishing with a publisher will increase their sales. As of early 2015, Amazon, which is our largest market, seems to be actively "downgrading" re-releases. In spite of marketing efforts, re-releases are never picked up by the algorithm and sales are poor. Although we are always happy to talk to talented authors, please be aware that if you have self-published a book within the last year, we are unlikely to see any increased sales if we re-release it.
How to Submit
Fill out this form!
If you do not get a response within 1 week, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep in mind that we...
... no longer accept Chapter One only submissions. You must submit a full document.
accept only writing in .doc, .txt or .docx format. If you have a story in any other format, and you don’t know how to get it into one of the formats we accept, contact us and we can help.
... will require your to submit a 2-3 paragraph sales blurb with your document. Also include total chapter and word count, and please make it clear whether you intend this book to part of an ongoing series.
... do not accept simultaneous submissions; however, we respond to submissions quickly. You can expect to have your submission acknowledged within 72 hours and receive an answer with 2-4 weeks.
... We pride ourselves on our quick publication time. Most submissions are published within 2-3 months of acceptance.